The Shelter Program here at St. Mary Church helps these people in need quietly and confidentially. It is a program that is part of the John Rigely Food Pantry Program. While you, our very generous parishioners, give food to the pantry for those in need of groceries, monetary donations are also needed to build up the Shelter account.
- What would you do if you suddenly lost your job?
- What would you do if you were faced with a devastating illness that prevented you from working?
- How would you support your family?
- Who would pay the bills?
These are some of the questions people from our own parish and the Milford community face every day. The people I speak of are our neighbors, our friends or could even be the person sitting across the aisle in church on Sunday morning. They are proud and private people who do not want to ask for help.
This past year, the Shelter Program has:
- Helped 19 families pay their monthly rent or mortgage
- Put 26 people up at Howard Johnsons who had no place to sleep
- Assisted 14 individuals with their utility bills.
- Helped 1 person purchase medication to treat their affliction with cancer
- Purchased 9 gas cards so families could take their sick children for treatments
All this was made possible through the kind hearts of our Saint Mary families. If you know of someone in our parish or community who may need assistance from the Shelter Program, please encourage them to call the rectory. Please think about donating at the next John Rigely food drive!
All applicants are required to:
- Be a Milford Resident
- Demonstrate Need
- Meet with Milford Human Services prior to first appointment
For further information, or to make an appointment, or if you know someone in need of this service, please contact the Parish Office.